Ask Your Trusted Hair Salon in Anchorage, AK About Hair Protection Around the Pool
June 8, 2017
Summer is the perfect season for barbecues, parties, road trips and, of course, swimming! Whether you’re taking a hard-earned vacation at the beach, enjoying a weekend of boating on the lake or kicking back at the pool, your hair deserves to have a good time, too. You may not think about it, but hair can easily be damaged by chlorine, salt, humidity and other swimming conditions. Fortunately, it’s easy to keep your luscious locks happy if you follow these easy tips from Studio FX Hair Design LLC, your trusted hair salon in Anchorage, AK:
- Shower first: We don’t mean shampoo and conditioner in your home shower. Just go to the nearest rinsing station and wet your hair thoroughly with clean water before you hop in the pool or head out to the waves. Your hair follicles will soak up the good water, which will leave less room for bad stuff like salt and chlorine to be absorbed.
- Apply some oil: This might seem like something you usually do only after you wash your hair, but in this case, it will serve you well as a preemptive measure. Specifically, grab a bottle of coconut oil and coat your hair in it before you swim. The oil will repel water molecules, so you don’t soak up salt or chlorine. Alternatively, you can use olive oil.
- Sunscreen is an option: Believe it or not, sunscreen is actually a pretty good idea when it comes to preserving your hair. Think about it: UV rays are bad for your skin, so why wouldn’t they also be bad for your hair? There are plenty of hair care products that offer sunscreen protection. Shop around or hop online to buy a bottle. You’ll be preventing color fadeout, split ends, dried follicles, damaging rays and excess frizz. Plus, a lot of hair sunscreens smell great, so this is all a win-win situation for you and your locks.
- Do a ‘do: In addition to keeping your hair out of the water as much as possible—we know that’s not always an option, but just keep it in mind—having your hair pulled up can make a big difference, too. Your hair won’t spend so much time trailing in the water, soaking up damaging particles, and in addition to preventing tangling, your chic braid or cute topknot will make you look extra stylish.
- Aftercare is extremely important: After a long day of swimming and sunbathing, showering might feel like a lot of work. That’s totally understandable, but try to resist the urge to just go home and pass out. Your hair deserves better than that! Invest in a quality shampoo—if you need some suggestions, ask the pros at your hair salon in Anchorage, AK—and massage thoroughly through your hair. Follow up with a deep conditioning product to restore moisture, repair any damage that snuck through your barriers and add a layer of protection.
Want to know more about good hair care this summer? Head to Studio FX Hair Design LLC for expert advice and fantastic products. We’ll help you look fabulous all season long!
Categorised in: Hair Salon