Have you ever wondered how some people achieve such healthy-looking locks? As a hair salon in Anchorage, AK, one question we hear over and over from our clients is, “How can I get healthier-looking hair?” Unfortunately, we don’t have any magic potion that will give you the shiny, thick, healthful locks you crave overnight. However, we do have a few industry secrets for healthier hair that we wish everyone knew about:
- Drink lots of water: That’s right! This is one more reason why drinking plenty of water should be part of your daily routine. By keeping your body hydrated, you are actually helping to keep your hair hydrated, too! If your hair roots aren’t getting enough water, your hair will eventually become dry and brittle, and may even stop growing.
- Remember your hair is fragile when wet: Water breaks down the hydrogen bonds in your hair, so your hair is in its most fragile state when wet. To avoid split ends and damaged strands, be gentle with your hair right after a shower or a swim. Use a wide-tooth comb, blot your hair dry with a plush towel and don’t put your hair in tight ponytail until it’s dry.
- Use a satin pillowcase: Ever notice all the strands of hair stuck to your pillowcase when you get up in the morning? The microfibers of your pillowcase grasp onto your hair follicles while you sleep, and with every movement of your head, those follicles are being broken and damaged. Using a satin pillowcase allows your hair to smoothly slide across the pillowcase, no matter how much you toss and turn in the night.
- Protect your scalp from the sun: A healthy scalp is the key to healthy hair, and while most people remember to protect the rest of their body from the sun’s rays, they forget to protect their scalp. If you’re going to be out in the sun for long periods of time, be sure to wear a hat or some other covering to protect your head from the sun.
- Brush effectively: Brushing your hair helps spread its own natural oils from root to tip, which is why your hair looks shinier after a good brushing. Regular brushing is good for your hair, if you do it effectively. Brushing your hair too hard or too much can cause breakage.
- Use cold water to wash your hair: Although a good, hot shower might feel great, you may want to switch to cold water when it’s time to wash your hair. Hot water can damage your hair the same way using a blow dryer or a curling iron can.
It doesn’t always take an expensive hair product to achieve beautiful, healthy-looking hair. Take it from your hair salon in Anchorage, AK—making a few simple lifestyle changes can give you the healthy hair you’ve always wanted. For more personalized hair advice, schedule an appointment with one of our professional hair stylists at Studio FX Hair Design LLC today!
Categorised in: Hair Salon