It may not officially be winter yet here in Alaska, but the cold weather has started to set in, and the long winter months are going to be here sooner than you know it. Therefore, it’s time once again to start thinking about your winter hair care regimen so you can maintain healthy hair even during these harsh conditions.
Here are a few tips from our hair salon in Alaska to help you keep your hair looking and feeling great this winter:
- Deal with static: When the weather is cold and dry during the winter months, you’ll start to have problems with static. One of the best ways to counteract static during these conditions is to use a heat styling product when you’re blow drying your hair. Moroccan oil is one we highly recommend—you can put it on dry hair right before you use a flat iron or curler.
- Hair oils: Depending on the type of hair you have, you might benefit from using a hair oil after you shampoo. This product is geared specifically for nourishing dehydrated hair, or hair that’s been color treated. You can use it on wet hair for blow drying purposes, or on dry hair as a treatment to smooth and shine the hair.
- Condition: Throughout the winter, you’re going to want to treat your hair once a week or so with some deep conditioning. This is a great way to restore some of the moisture in your hair, which will get depleted over the winter because of the dry heat pumping through the vents in your home, as well as the dry, cold winter air. We can recommend a number of different products to fit your specific hair type and needs, though you may already have a product you swear by. Regardless, this is one of the best ways to keep moisture in your hair and avoid breaks and split ends.
- Minimize washes: You don’t need to wash your hair more than two or three times a week during the winter. Any more often than that and you run the risk of drying out your hair. You should also not let your hair air dry, especially if you’re about to leave the house. Dry your hair long before you go anywhere—this will help you avoid catching a cold and prevent you from damaging your hair by making it brittle.
- Humidifiers: One recommendation we like to provide that people often don’t consider is to use humidifiers during the winter. Yes, an overabundance of humidity can cause frizzy hair, but keep in mind that your home is dryer than usual during the winter months, meaning you can benefit from adding a little bit of humidity into the air. This will go a long way toward keeping your hair in good condition.
These are just a few tips you can follow this winter. Call Studio FX Hair Design LLC or visit our hair salon in Alaska to learn more about winter hair care!
Categorised in: Hair Salon