Avoid These Bad Hair Product Ingredients
You spend a lot of time and money caring for your hair, so would you knowingly put rubbing alcohol on your strands? How about the soap they use at car washes? Depending on the kinds of products you’re using, you might essentially be doing just that.
It’s important to check the labels on the hair products you use and know what the terms mean. When you’re reading a label, keep in mind that the ingredients are listed in terms of quantity, in descending order—so if “water” is the first listed ingredient, you’ll know the product contains mostly water, with ingredients diminishing in volume from there.
Here’s a list of the major hair product ingredients you should stay away from in Anchorage, AK if you want to keep your hair and body healthy:
- Chlorine: It’s hard to avoid chlorine, since it’s in pools, tap water and laundry products, but there’s no reason to add more in the form of your hair care products. Chlorine dries your hair out and can affect your respiratory health, too.
- Isopropyl alcohol: This is the official name for rubbing alcohol, which is great for sterilizing, but will dry your hair. Dry hair is brittle hair, so you can avoid breakage when you avoid this ingredient.
- Propylene glycol: This chemical will break down proteins and damage your organs. It is also used in antifreeze, as well as in cosmetics like deodorant.
- Polyethylene glycol: This chemical strips oil away—which is great if you suffer from oily hair—but it can also strip your hair of natural moisture and compromise your immune system.
- Monoethanolamine, diethanolamine and triethanolamine: These ingredients are used to help products create foaming action, but they also disrupt your hormone production and can cause cancer.
- Sodium laureth sulfate and sodium lauryl sulfate: If you wouldn’t put car wash soap or floor cleaners in your hair, don’t use products with these ingredients. They are another way to create foam, but they also strip your hair of natural oils, compromise the immune system and may even cause allergic reactions.
- Silicones: If your hair product uses silicone, be sure you don’t apply it to the scalp. It coats your hair shaft to make it look shiny, but if you apply it to the roots of your hair, you risk clogging the pores and follicles.
- Synthetic color or fragrance: If you have particularly sensitive skin, you should also watch out for color or fragrance, as they can cause allergic reactions.
Keep your hair healthy and looking great with the help of Studio FX Hair Design LLC’s experienced and knowledgeable team. When you come in for a cut, color, style or one of our other services, we can direct you to safe hair product ingredients in Anchorage, AK that will be perfect for your individual hair texture and needs. We offer a wide variety of products and services to help you look and feel your best. Call or stop by today to find out more and set up your next appointment.
Categorised in: Products