Some people think they need to avoid moisture to avoid having hair that feels heavy and oily. Others seek out moisturizing products in an attempt to repair brittle or damaged hair. The truth is that everyone’s hair needs moisture, but achieving the right level of moisture is the real key to healthy hair. Whether your hair stays moist naturally or needs a boost from time to time, everyone can benefit from knowing when, why and how to moisturize their locks.
Your favorite hair salon in Anchorage, AK knows the importance of keeping hair hydrated—it’s time you did, too! Here’s a breakdown of everything you need to know about hydrating your hair:
- Healthy hair and moisture: As mentioned above, everyone needs moisture to maintain healthy hair. Whether fine or coarse, all types of hair need moisture, just as you should be moisturizing your skin each day. You want to avoid dry hair at all costs, as dryness is the number one cause of many hair issues, including split ends, tangles, frizzing and brittle ends.
- When to moisturize: The changing of the seasons plays a huge role in when your hair needs extra moisture. For example, winter produces cold, dry air. Indoor heaters are on, sucking moisture out of the air around you as well as your hair. Everyone should be moisturizing their hair during the winter months, but individuals with coarser or drier hair may need it all year long.
- How to moisturize: We’ve established that everyone’s hair needs moisture. However, everyone’s moisturizing routine will be different. The good news is that the rules of moisturizing are the same. First, hair conditioner should not be applied to the roots. The hair that does need regular conditioning is anything that’s able to fit into a ponytail. Apply conditioner from where the hair tie would go all the way down to the end of the ponytail. Try a leave-in conditioner if you regularly experience spells of dry hair.
- Applying moisture to coarse hair: Let’s look at medium dry hair and coarse hair, both of which need constant moisture. If your hair fits into either category, use a hydrating shampoo and conditioner every time you wash your hair, and consider using a leave-in conditioner as well.
- Applying moisture to fine hair: It’s very common for people with fine hair to be wary of moisturizing shampoos and conditioners. Don’t be! It’s likely you just haven’t found the right hair moisturizing products or routine. It’s important to note that fine hair doesn’t need moisture daily, and you may want to add in a lightweight leave-in conditioner every four washes or so during the winter.
Take care of your hair at home, but don’t hesitate to schedule an appointment with a hair salon in Anchorage, AK that you trust. For more information about personal hair care or to book an appointment, contact the professionals at Studio FX Hair Design LLC. We offer a wide range of exceptional hair services for both women and men. Call us today to learn more!
Categorised in: Hair Salon