For a long time, it seemed like everyone wanted straight hair. Those with curly, kinky or wavy hair tried every product and service available to straighten their locks. However, in recent years, a new trend has emerged. People are embracing their natural hair texture and working to nourish it, instead of fighting against it. Many of our clients come to us with questions about their overly dry curly hair in Anchorage, AK, unsure of how to moisturize their twisted tresses.
Why is my curly hair always dry?
If you are like many people learning more about caring for their natural hair texture, you’re probably looking for some curly hair tips to help you address dryness and breakage. You’ve come to the right place!
- Shampoo: One reason your curly hair dries out is that you’re using a shampoo with sulfates or a high pH level. You’re washing away essential oils when you apply a shampoo that’s not lower on the pH scale and filled with sulfates. It makes your hair feel brittle, look frizzy and break over time.
- Conditioner: Curly hair needs a lot of conditioner. Even if you’re not washing your hair with shampoo every day, you should condition regularly using a considerable amount of product (which varies based on hair length). Some with curly locks don’t even use shampoo and opt instead to co-wash, a process that involves using conditioner to both clean and condition your hair. You also want to rinse the conditioner out of your hair correctly using the “squish-to-condish” method, which entails allowing the conditioner and water to work together to hydrate your hair.
- Heated styling tools: The direct heat from your hair dryer, curling iron or straightener opens the cuticle around each strand of hair, making it more susceptible to drying. Ideally, you would allow your textured hair to air dry, but if you must use a heated styling tool, don’t skip the step of applying protective spray or cream. This provides a barrier that helps decrease the damage caused by styling with these hot tools.
- Coloring: We know how much fun it is to play around with our hair color. One season you might want a beachy blonde look, but you decide to go darker when the weather cools off for the year. Maybe you’re like us, and you love all of the unique looks we’ve seen with fashion hair colors, from neon green to pastel purple. Take care when coloring your curly hair. Speak with your stylist about using products to preserve color, moisture and natural texture the next time you want to dye or highlight your hair.
- Cotton pillowcases: Yes, surprisingly, the pillowcase you sleep on every night affects your hair. One of the most effective curly hair tips in Anchorage, AK is switching from a cotton pillowcase to a satin or silk one. Cotton absorbs all of the moisture in your hair, leaving your locks frizzy with split ends. A satin or silk pillowcase preserves your curl definition without sucking out all of that essential moisture.
There’s a lot to know about caring for textured hair, especially if you’re battling dry curly hair in Anchorage, AK. Fortunately, at Studio FX Hair Design LLC, we know all about cutting, coloring, styling and caring for wavy, curly, kinky and straight hair. Book an appointment at our salon or reach out for more curly hair tips!
Categorised in: Hair Care