It’s 2021, and science is advancing rapidly. It seems like there should be no reason for hair loss at this point, but unfortunately, it still affects people around the globe. Hair loss can negatively affect both men and women, causing them to feel shame, embarrassment and sadness.
Here are some possible reasons for hair loss in 2021, and potential solutions:
- Age: Both men and women lose hair as they age, although it’s usually more prevalent in men. If caught early enough, there are some treatments that may slow or stop hair loss.
- Hereditary hair loss: If hair loss runs in your family, you have a greatly increased chance of losing your own. Both men and women are subject to hereditary hair loss, which can start as early as your teens. While the patterns are different, both can be slowed or stopped with treatment.
- Alopecia: Alopecia is a disease where the body attacks hair follicles. Hair can be lost anywhere on the body, and potentially regrown with certain treatments.
- Hair pulling: If you pull your hair frequently, it may eventually stop growing back. The best way to prevent this is to stop the hair pulling behavior.
- Childbirth: Women naturally lose a lot of hair after childbirth, thanks to hormonal fluctuations. This is usually not permanent and will right itself after the post-partum hormones balance out again.
- Cancer: Chemotherapy and radiation tend to cause people to lose their hair. The hair usually grows back once treatment has stopped, although it’s common to see the hair grow back in a different color or texture than before.
- Hormone imbalance: Hormone imbalances of any kind can cause hair loss. Often, when the imbalance is corrected, the hair loss will slow or stop—and may even regrow.
- Hair products: Some hair products can cause hair loss, especially if you use them improperly. Discontinuing use should encourage the hair to grow back.
- Medications: Certain medications can cause hair loss—talk to your doctor about this unpleasant side effect, and find out what can be done to help reverse the trend.
- Scalp infections or psoriasis: If you have either of these conditions, see a dermatologist right away. Hair can regrow after the infection or psoriasis is treated, but you’ll need to address the root cause first.
- STIs: Some sexually transmitted infections, like syphilis, can lead to hair loss when left untreated. Since they can have serious medical complications, you should see a doctor immediately.
- Thyroid disease: Certain types of thyroid disease can cause hormonal imbalance, which can lead to hair loss. Treating the disorder can help encourage regrowth.
- Malnutrition: Finally, if you’re not getting the right amount and types of vitamins, this lack can cause your hair to grow out. Talk to your doctor about where you might have nutrient deficiency.
If you suffer from any of these causes of hair loss, the stylists at Studio FX Hair Design LLC can help you find solutions. We’re experts at adding hair extensions and other solutions to make you feel like you’re back to normal. Call today to book an appointment.
Categorised in: Hair Loss