Keeping healthy hair through winter in Anchorage, AK can be a challenge—especially if you find yourself caring for winter hair mistakes. Alaska’s harsh winters can do a number on your hair, even if it was in great shape before the cold, dry weather set in.
If you want to ensure that your hair stays shiny, healthy and manageable throughout the season, follow these tips:
- Use hats with caution: You might be tempted to stuff your hair up under a hat when it’s cold outside, but be careful. If your hair is remotely damp, it can stress your already-fragile hair and cause breakage. It’s fine to use a hat to disguise bad hair days—just make sure that your hair is completely dry when you do. You don’t want to have to book an emergency stylist appointment to care for your winter hair mistakes in Anchorage, AK.
- Reduce the shampoo schedule: Shampooing too often strips the oils from your hair and scalp, making it drier and more brittle. It can also dry out your scalp and cause dandruff, which is not anyone’s favorite holiday look. Use a good dry shampoo to go longer in between washing.
- Deep condition regularly: Dry winter air means dry winter hair. To make sure your hair stays soft, manageable and glossy, use deep-conditioning treatments at least once per week. This will help restore moisture to your thirsty hair and fight against breakage, split ends and static electricity.
- Trim regularly: Trimming your hair regularly is important any time of year but especially in the winter. Cut off split ends every six to 12 weeks to keep frizz and damage to a minimum.
- Try protective hairstyles: If you want to shield your hair from the cold, dry air, use a protective hairstyle. Buns, braids and updos will keep your hair in place, exposing less of it to the dry air. Remember, however, that your hair needs to be dry before you head outside.
- Avoid wet hair in the cold: Speaking of dry hair, it’s important that you dry your hair completely before heading out. Your hair is at its most fragile when it’s wet, and Alaskan winters can freeze the wet hair shaft. This causes breakage, split ends and limp hair—none of which goes with your holiday party outfit. Wash your hair before bed to ensure it’s completely dry in the morning. Your locks will thank you.
Keeping your hair healthy throughout winter in Anchorage, AK can be a challenge, but it’s also a good opportunity for some more self care. Regular deep-conditioning treatments, hair oils and serums aren’t just a way to keep your hair looking great—they’re also opportunities to take some time out from the holiday hustle and bustle to focus on yourself.
When you need help caring for your winter hair—and hair mistakes—in Anchorage, AK, call Studio FX Hair Design LLC to book an appointment. We’ll look forward to making you look and feel great.
Categorised in: Hair Care